Monday, July 23, 2012

Lizardmen VS. Vampire Counts(Orcs and Goblins Style)

So as a number of my friends know I've been looking at a new army that I have been dying to get my hands on. Its vampire counts but with a orc & goblin twist, via a 3rd party modeling company called Titan Forge. They make a line of models that are basically undead orcs and goblins. Which here is a shot of some Zomblins :
Now the rest of the models are pretty badass, and they have ideas for most everything in the Vampire Count army book. So right now I fully plan on doing at least a small force or them just for fun. Since I currently own around 8000 points of regular orcs and goblins(which i got for around $250 because of an awesome deal). I could easily convert some non painted models into undead models. Along with using some regular Vampire Count models and these undead orcs and goblin models. The army would mesh perfectly with my orcs. Plus it would look fantastic together in a team game.  But after seeing the video below I was sold on a full scale army project.

But hereis my dilemma, I currently own 2 fantasy armies being Orcs & Goblins and Lizardmen. Lizardmen were the first models I ever collect and the first army I ever played so they have a special place in my heart. I only want 2 armies for fantasy since they are so expensive to collect and time consuming to paint. But after seeing this video:
I was in love with the models and wanted to collect them all. But that would mean dropping my lizardmen if I wanted to go full bore into this army.  So I ask of you, people who happen to read my blog which isn't many since most people don't care about my painting or what I do for fun. Which do you think I should do. Keep it to a small force of 1500 or less, and keep the lizardmen? Or sell the lizardmen and make an amazing custom Vampire Counts army?

As a comparison of pictures you can go to this LINK to see some pictures of the lizardmen army. I love the story of the lizardmen and the models as well. So hence why I am so torn. I love both armies stories and both of the armies models. Play style isn't that big of a deal to me but will play a role in my decision. Help me decide readers, post a comment on what you feel I should do. You dont have to follow me to post just post anonymously.



3 comments:

  1. Personally, I think that if you love your Lizardmen, then keep them for now and just start up a small group of the Vampire Counts while incorporating them in with the orcs. I know how expensive a full army can be, so why not just put a stop to buying new Lizards, and only buy up new Vampire Counts. EVENTUALLY, if you really do become more passionate about the new army, you can switch it for the Lizardmen.. But there is no need to get rid of them now.

    No need to feel guilty about it. Everyone grows and passions wane, wander, and can be created anew. You should do what keeps you enthralled.

    Besides, you could always wait until the big GameDay in Baltimore and see if you could win a trophy for your Lizards, Orcs AND Vamps... (Besides, I hear that Baltimore has some really awesome people [person] you could hang out with)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, if you like the looks of tf miniatures, and you dig the atmosphere they are trying to create - go for it. such campaigns, on kickstarter or on indiegogo are a big boost for small miniature producers, and in my opinion the more the better.
    Also, i ordered Flesh Reapers from them - great models, a bit expensive, but totally worth it! I'm guessing, that models on that indiegogo campaign are at least the same quality, and that alone makes me sold for it!
    Also, remember that its a 30 day campaign yes? So, if you would like to buy their miniatures (i assume they will be available later?), they will surely be more expensive.
    So, all in all, i would advice you to go for the vampire/orcs army. More so, that you already have a lot of orks, so it would be even more simple to mesh models from both projects.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So after discussing it with a number of people, Ive decided to follow everyone advice. Start off small and if i really like them then grow into it. I can mesh a number of orcs i currently have into the project which will save me from painting around 70ish models to start. Also it will allow me to convert most of the forces i need without having to spend to much on models. Then later on if i see the lizardmen not being wanted as much anymore i can sell them then. They will just go on the back burner for now.

    ReplyDelete